The CI-202 Portable Laser Area Meter uses advanced laser technology to provide researchers with a precise and convenient way to measure leaf area. The high-resolution laser scanner, data logger, and display are all enclosed in a durable, handheld scanner and detachable palette.
The CI-202 is used to perform non-destructive measurements on the leaves of living plants by placing the leaf on the palette and sliding the scanner over the leaf, enabling collection of data from the same plant, or even the same leaf, throughout its life span. The transparent, protective sheath on the palette makes it easy to capture precise leaf area measurement on tender or intricate leaves.
The CI-203 uses the same technology but is particularly useful for measuring the growth of the same leaf of a plant as a result of some treatment.
Harvest Agri Ltd is the UK distributor for CID BioScience of USA and will be happy to provide more details, answer queries and provide service. See Contact us. However, please feel free to check their excellent website at “http://www.cid-inc.com” or contact them directly at 01 (360) 833 8835 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Theory of Operation
Theory of Operation
The CI-202 measures length, width, area, and perimeter, and calculates ratio and shape factor once a measurement is completed.
Each time the control unit detects that the laser scanner has progressed 1 mm, the computer checks to see if the width reading is non-zero. If the width measurement is non-zero, the computer takes the following actions:
- The length measurement is increased by 1 mm.
- The width measurement is added to the area accumulator.
- If the width measurement is greater than the currently stored maximum width, the maximum width is updated.
Aspect ratio is the ratio of the leaf length to its maximum width:
Shape factor is the ratio of the leaf area to the leaf perimeter, corrected so that the shape factor of a circle is equal to 1:
- Botanists use the CI-202 to quantify phenotypic changes of measure leaf area in-situ
- Plant physiologists use the CI-202 to measure leaves and relate changes in shape characteristic to physiological function
- Scientists apply the CI-202 to a range of organic and inorganic materials, like seeds, wings, and manufactured parts
To see a full list of application resources including published research with the CI-202 Portable Laser Leaf Area Meter, please visit: www.cid-inc.com/applications